Thursday, March 13, 2003

MY AMAZING FAMILY, PART I: My oldest sister, Devorah, and her husband, Daniel, live in Beit Shemesh, Israel. In addition to the full time job of raising five beautiful children, they founded and run two elementary schools. The schools, one boys' and one girls', are both called Magen Avot (literally: Shield of our fathers) in memory of my father Rabbi Ephraim (Freddy) Ochs and Daniel's father Rabbi Shmuel (Sam) Simon. Together, they have close to six hundred students are are celebrating their first graduating class this year. My oldest niece, Chana Aidel, who is thirteen, is graduating in that class. Chana Aidel was also a general in the inaugural Color War and just lost -upholding the Ochs losing tradition splendidly, I'm told. [Sidebar: Apparently, Israelis never heard of Color War, but they took to it with aplomb.] Devorah is the most spiritual (read: hippielike) of my four siblings and has taken to life in Israel so much that she truly is a fish out of water when she comes to visit us here in the U.S. of A. I visit Devorah annually for the Succot (Tabernacles) holiday and totally love relaxing and spending time with her and the family. Stay tuned for additional installements of <reverb>MY AMAZING FAMILY.</reverb>

No comments: