Tuesday, January 14, 2003

GO SMALL YOUNG MAN: Are we at a point in out digital evolution where it's counterproductive to work in a large company? I look around and all I see is the sclerosis of the working in a cubicle mentality. It's uncanny how much Mike Judge got right in his flick "Office Space" about office life. There's so much politics and mediocrity that it stifles commerce and efficiency. What's the answer? Well, as a developer, i wonder if we are at the age of the resurgence of the single person company. I mean, why not? What does a large company offer me that I can't have/do better on my own? If I need additional resources for a project, I can cherry pick a virtual group specifically for my needs at hand from my like minded colleagues in cyberspace. I can jump fropm project to project based upon criteria of my choosing, rather than some mid-level flack's perceived need. Now all I really need is a medical insurance collective...

No comments: