Friday, August 27, 2004

THE DEVIL'S HANDS ARE IDLE PLAYTHINGS

Late at night & wide awake. Watched a previously unseen (by me) episode of Futurama. The very last episode as it turns out, in fact. "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings." Very clever. Worked in an operetta and the one and only appearance of the heretofore unknown Hedonism-bot. Chime in with your favorite 'bot. I'm partial to Don-bot.

What was it I wanted to say? Oh yeah, How come every Israeli movie I see in Blockbuster deals with sexuality? The latest, Yossi & Jagger, really takes the cake. I mean, how long will people get roped in by the juxtaposition of hebrew names and sex? (Bi/homo/inter -whatever.) We don't care! How about something I'd really like to see, like a noir piece set somewhere in the Middle East. I mean, Casablanca was what? 50 years ago? I sure could enjoy a crime/gumshoe set piece film in the narrow back alleys of, say, Cairo or Damascus. Hell, I'll take Amman. (FYI: I just finished When the Women Come out to Dance, a collection of short stories from The Master. Highly recommended, as usual.)

Instead of the election being about the following issues:

  1. Do you hate George W. Bush
  2. Do you hate Republicans.
  3. Do you really hate George W. Bush.
  4. How did both candidates use their privilege to their advantage 35 some odd years ago when they were barely out of college.
  5. Something about body armor.
  6. Sucking up to the French.
  7. Conspiracy theories (a.k.a X-files syndrome.)
  8. Perpetually cyclical issues such as abortion and gay rights (let's face it, we as a nation will continue to straddle the fence on these for the foreseeable future regardless of who's in office.)

Wouldn't it be nice if it were about:

  1. Accountability for our byzantine security apparatus.
  2. The economy.
  3. The budget.

Just a thought.

No comments: