Friday, August 08, 2008

SNOWL

Mozilla labs, those wild and crazy guys who brought you Firefox and Thunderbird, are working on a new breed of message reader. The prototype is called Snowl. Clearly, messaging from the consumption side is broken, When I need to fire up several different mail readers to see all my messages, as well as an IM client (thanks for at least aggregating all my online presences into one client, Pidgin) and a Twitter client (twhirl, if you must know) something is wrong. Not to mention my massive feed consumption, which I currently manage with Google Reader. Kudos for Mozilla for thinking about the idea. The last entity -OSAF- that tried to bring fresh ideas to this space crashed and burned and is only now releasing a 1.0 watered down version of their original concept.

FYI, I originally migrated my feeds from the Firefox Sage add-on to Google Reader in an attempt to curb my voracious feed reading appetitive. The theory at the time was that Reader was slower, less intuitive and less accesible than Sage. As it turned out, Reader has matured into a wonderful feed readr -the best IMHO so I'm as infoholic as ever. Sharing and compositing feeds with Reader is a treat as well.

No comments: